Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Rewards

To the people who know me, and I mean really know me, its no surprise that I spend a lot of time getting ready for each hounding adventure. Between roster moves, puck orders and player research, the time spent actually hounding the players often pales in comparison to the legwork.

This preparation, just like practice, pays off. Sometimes, it’s something as simple as using the last of a bunch of obscure pucks. Often, it’s recognizing that a player knows you’re a collector, rather than a dealer.

Every so often, though, it’s an exchange with the player or, in this case, a player-turned coach that provides the reward. Case in point:

Saturday, Nov. 12, Portland, Maine: New Portland Pirates coach Kevin Dineen, who enjoyed a long career in the National Hockey League, signs two pucks – a Portland Pirates official game puck and a Hartford Whalers souvenir puck.

PH: (That’s me, Puckhound): The last time I saw you we were at the Greensboro (N.C.) Coliseum, when the (Carolina) Hurricanes called it home. My wife and I were some of the faithful 3,500 who attended.
K.D.: Yeah, those were pretty tough years. It wasn’t much fun.
PH: Having fun now?
K.D.: Much more. Much more.

Pucks shown above, from left:

Winnipeg Jets: Scott Arniel (Buffalo Sabres, Nov. 18 in Boston)
Hartford Whalers: Kevin Dineen
Drummondville Voltigeurs: Daniel Briere (Buffalo Sabres, Nov. 18 in Boston)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home