Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Do your homework

I don't know why I let some people ruin a good day of hounding, but I can't help being frustrated by some of the apparently clueless people who call themselves collectors.

Last Saturday, following the Portland Pirates' 3-2 win over the Binghamton Senators, a gaggle of "collectors" gathered by the players' door at the Cumberland County Civic Center. After getting 15 pucks signed before the game, I was waiting for Patrick Eaves, the Ottawa Senators' No. 1 draft pick in 2003, to sign a trio of pucks. As usual, the regulars, armed with their 8x10s downloaded (can you say copyright infringement?) and player profiles from the Baby Sens Web site, were there.

I try to avoid these folks, who I'm quite sure are pretty nice people, only because they tend to be a bit bothersome when it gets busy. Though they're apparently willing to invest the time to print out their "collectibles," the thought to commit a player's identity to memory escapes them. In fact, if I had a dollar for every time they muttered a "Who's that?" to a player, I'd be writing this posting from a beach in the Bahamas.

Despite spending a considerable amount of time each week pursuing the next, and hopefully last, position in my journalism career, raking leaves from six towering maples and making sure Colin doesn't get into too much trouble, I still find the time to know who I'm hounding. Granted, not every player can be instantly recognizable, but any hound worth his or her salt should at least know the stars.

One time last year, following a Calder Cup playoff game between the Providence Bruins and Lowell Lock Monsters, two of the Portland "regulars" were camped outside the players' door at the Tsongas Arena. Clutching a couple of cards, they asked every player who left the building if he was Patrice Bergeron. Player and player politely told the pair that they were not, indeed, Patrice Bergeron.

Patrice, who has certainly made an impression with northern New England hockey fans for his on-ice skills and willingness to sign, is pretty easy to identify. He's featured on commercials, has plenty of cards and can be Googled. Yet, when Patrice walked past this dynamic duo, they failed to recognize him.

Now, I was taught to not judge people, not even if you get to know them. And though I know I fall woefully short, at times, in this regard, I say, in my defense, that I also learned, as a Boy Scout, to be prepared.

It's one thing if someone is a casual fan, stumbling upon a player as they depart the arena, to not be able to identify the signer. It's my belief, though, that any hound, collector or dealer should do their homework. Anything less, I'm afraid, opens the door to commentary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home