Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Another momentary diversion

Though the primary purpose of this blog is hockey autographs, I feel the need to remind the Boston Bruins that games last 60 minutes, not 57.

After believing Joe Thornton's deft tap-in wrapped up the B's 3-1 win over the Flyers last night, I was stunned to watch the Flyers score two goals to take it into overtime. I wasn't surprised, though, when Joni Pitkanen scored the game-winner. The Flyers show desire, something that the Bruins are sorely lacking.

The Bruins, I'm afraid, are sleepwalking through games. And while you can blame the players for slacking off, it's the coach's responsibility to motivate them. Mike Sullivan is failing - miserably.

Simply put, the team lacks a killer instinct. Even in wins, they let up at game's end (This past Saturday against Pittsburgh comes to mind.). Aggressive hockey must be played every second of every minute of every game. Sullivan has not -- and will not -- instill that in this team.

Being a relative newcomer to the Black-and-Gold bandwagon, I may not have the credibility as some other Bruins fans. But I am a hockey fan and have rooted for far-lesser teams (Buffalo Sabres) that the Bruins. Team management must do something soon to shake up -- and wake up -- the team. Other than a blockbuster trade, there's only one option, and this is a repeat call -- get rid of Sullivan.

If the Bruins don't, it's going to be a long season. And I'll have no problem, whatsoever, telling everyone that I told you so.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I'll be the first one you tell. ;)

One of my pet peeves with Sullivan has not only been in the past, but continues this season, and that is not executing his timeouts when he should. Sure, it's easy coaching from couches and the stands, but it's one of my biggest pet peeves with Sullivan. You can tell when the team needs a kick in the hockey pants, and Sullivan only seems to take the timeouts when the team is trailing.

I can't really critique much else because I'm far from being anything compared to a coach.

One thing that was brought up on a tv show discussing hockey tonight was how Sullivan might be feeling the pressure now with Bourque as a consultant.

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To finish my thought, "and Sullivan only seems to take the timeouts when the team is trailing..." in the final few minutes of regulation.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home