Thursday, October 06, 2005

Why be greedy?

I know I shouldn’t complain a day after getting a Hall of Famer to sign the 700th puck of my collection, but the first trip of the 2005-06 NHL season only reinforced my belief that Boston is not the Hub of the Universe, but more like the sphincter muscle. I tell you, the city is teeming with them.

Not only do I have to deal with overzealous hotel security guards, including Mr. Juco (as in junior college) the hotel’s chief dick, but it’s also the return of the unpleasant feeling upon seeing that D-Con has yet to produce a product that eliminates the vermin who sell on eBay.

This year, though, there’s a new wrinkle. It seems that there are a few collectors, and one in particular, who believe that players owe "fans" their undying devotion as well as signatures on nine cards, three 8x10s, two pucks, a team jersey and half a dozen magazine covers. God bless any players who fall short of that unreasonable request.

And while it’s my guess that NHL players have been encouraged to conduct individual public relations campaigns in a coordinated effort to restore good will, any collector making those type of requests, and expressing disappointment when said requests aren’t honored, should be marked as greedy too.

I, for one, am glad the NHL is back. And I know I’m not alone.

Pucks shown above:

Boston Bruins: Jeremy Jacobs, Boston Bruins owner
Hartford Whalers: Doug Jarvis, with 964 games notation - NHL’s all-time ironman
Montreal Canadiens: Yvon Pedneault, Le Presse/Le Journal de Montreal, Hall of Fame writer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home