Monday, September 12, 2005

Some things never change


One of the main reasons I collect autographs from hockey players is that, for the most part, they’re pretty decent people who don’t mind the interaction with the fans. My guess is that most come from smaller towns throughout Canada, had good parents who taught them well and still appreciate the fact they play hockey for a living.

It doesn’t matter, either, whether the player is a star or a seventh defenseman. Dallas’ Mike Modano is just as cordial as Carolina’s Mike Commodore. And that observation, I’m glad to report, is still on the mark.

Exhibit A: new Boston Bruins defenseman Brian Leetch. A sure-fire, first-ballot Hall of Famer whenever he decides to retire, Leetch is always gracious, taking time to sign and chat with fans. Today was no different – he signed three pucks (a hat trick, so to speak, for me) and asked me to spread around the rumor that he was already hitting in his first practice of the year.

"Was I hitting people? Gee, I’m not a big hitter. Then again, it’s been an awfully long time since I played hockey,’’ Leetch told me outside the TD Banknorth Garden. "I was hitting people? You should tell that to more people. I want that to get around."

Even Joe Thornton was in a good and chatty mood. Granted, his demeanor usually sours as the season grows long, but he was downright jovial when I asked him to sign a couple pucks. The season in Sweden left him not only tanned and rested, but Jumbo Joe was also hilariously vulgar.

"F***in’ A, you bet I’m ready," he said, laughing, and then drove off.

Other signers included Tom Fitzgerald, Jonathan Girard, Brad Isbister, Ian Moran and Hannu Toivonen.

Pucks shown above:

Top row, from left:
New York Rangers: Brian Leetch
Toronto Maple Leafs: Brian Leetch
Team USA: Brian Leetch

Bottom row, from left:
Boston Bruins: Hannu Toivonen
World Cup of Hockey-Canada: Joe Thornton
Boston Bruins 75th Anniversary: Joe Thornton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home